Rev. John KNIBBS, son of John KNIBBS and Catherine WRIGHT , was born 02 March 1826 in Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England. He married Amelia Ann BLODGETT June 1858 in Mineral Point, Grant County, Wisconsin, USA. He died 01 February 1884 in Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin, USA. Amelia Ann BLODGETT was born 26 April 1839 in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA. She died 10 December 1886 in Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa, USA.

Children of Rev. John KNIBBS and Amelia Ann BLODGETT are:
1. Helen Blodgett KNIBBS, b. 28 June 1871 See George Joseph OSGOOD & Helen Blodgett KNIBBS
2. Mary Catherine KNIBBS, b. March 1859 See Ira BARNES & Mary Catherine KNIBBS
3. Harriet E KNIBBS, b. abt. 1869

Notes for Rev. John KNIBBS:

John can be seen at the 1841 census for Oxfordshire and N. Berkshire, living at Woodstock, Oxfordshire, aged 13 years. He appears to be living alone, but as this was taken from an Knibbs extract of the 1841 census, it would indicate he was living with a family other than Knibbs. His mother had died in 1837 and his father remarried in 1839, so quite why John wasn't living with his father and step-mother I don't know. I can see that his step-mother had two babies in quick succession in 1840 and 1841, so perhaps they simply farmed John out.

John can be seen in 1851 in Oxfordshire living as a tenant in Woodstock, Oxfordshire:
KNIBBS John 23 Butcher Man

It is understood from Cathy Cliff, a direct descendant on John's sister Ann Knibbs who married George Brashier, that John emigrated to Wisconsin, USA and was married in 1858.

John Knibbs was a Methodist Circuit Rider Minister in Crawford County. He did his first Mission in Crawford Co in 1856 and later also in Iowa, Lafayette and Grant Co's.

A story passed down within the family has it that one winter night he was out on a call near Barnum and got lost in a blinding snow storm. He froze his feet, but found his way home. They took him to Prairie to the hospital and his feet had to be amputated. This however didn't help and he died a few days later. (See the correct version of the story in more detail below). His wife Amelia was from Iowa and it is believed she went home to Iowa. A few years later she came back and had him exhumed and moved to Iowa to be buried near her...maybe near Des Moines. This is in the Crawford County History at the Courthouse.
Cross refer to Prairie du Chien Obituary in Amelia's file.

My thanks go to Tim Stowell who made the following two articles available on the Internet at and

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Prairie du Chien was organized in 1836, by the Rev. Alfred Brunson, superintendent of the M. E. mission, of the upper Mississippi and Lake Superior. Mr. Brunson came here in the fall of 1835, from Meadville, Penn., and returned home the same autumn. In the spring of 1836 he came back with his family, purchased a farm and built a house, the materials of which were brought by boat from his old home in Pennsylvania. He soon organized a society.

Mr. Brunson says: "We reached Prairie du Chien July 16, 1836. I organized a class of ten members out of those who came with me, being the first class of Methodists ever formed north and west of the Wisconsin river.

Rev. John Knibbs, pastor of the M. E. Church of Prairie du Chien, was born in Oxford, England, March 2, 1826. He emigrated from England to America, in 1855, joined the West Wisconsin Conference, in 1856, and has been in active service now about twenty-seven years. In the winter of 1856-7, while a stranger in the land, Mr. Knibbs was engaged by the Rev. Alfred Brunson, to officiate at Eastman, in place of a brother minister who was prevented by sickness, from keeping his appointment. He started to travel some five miles over the hills. The snow being nearly three feet deep and covered with a sharp crust, as no road was broken, he soon lost his way, and wandered about a considerable time. His horse becoming exhausted he tied him to a tree and tried to make his way on foot. Like many others when lost he traveled in a circle and soon came back to his horse. Again he tried to make his way out only to find himself back to the horse again. When night came on he crawled into the snow for protection. The following day he tried again but with no better success. Four days and three nights were spent in these vain attempts --- his feet, hands and face were frozen and he was nearly starved. At last he sighted smoke from a chimney and was barely able to reach the house. The people only supposed one foot to be frozen, which they thawed out with spring water. This foot was saved and the other that was thought uninjured was so badly effected that amputation of a part of the foot was necessary. More recently three different amputations of the limb have been made, one in 1883, nearly twenty-seven years after his exposure. Mr. Knibbs has in spite of his physical disabilities done effective work as a mission preacher. He is a man of fine ability and great earnestness of purpose. The past two years he has filled the pulpit at Prairie du Chien and at the last conference was appointed to his second term at this point. Mr. Knibbs does not feel hopeful of filling the term of his appointment, but expects to be soon retired from active service.


The following is the same story as furnished by Rev. John Knibbs himsel

"I was sent in September, 1856, to the mission which included the town of Utica; I found the country new and rough, and the people few and far between. I can hardly remember where I preached first, but I think it was at the double log tavern of William McAuley, who I believe still resides at Mt. Sterling. If I remember aright, my first class was formed at Bro. Ezekiel Tainter's or "Uncle Zeke," as he was generally known; whether a class was then formerly organized or whether, like Topsy, it "grew" I cannot now remember. We had several good Methodist members in that region, who came principally from Ohio.

"Among them were Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur, Mr. and Mrs. Tallman, Mr. Roger's family, and two brothers named Peck. There were several others whose names I do not remember. The minister appointed by the conference to succeed me, was brother T. C. Clendenning, now of Rock River Conference, but I have long since lost sight of our Church in that region of the county.

"You ask for some account of my experience while traveling the circuit in the stormy winter of 1856-7. Well, it was a very chilling experience to say the least. I began my mission work in September, and had traversed the county quite thoroughly before winter set in. I had ten preaching places, besides several classes to visit. On the 22d of December, 1856, I started from Prairie du Chien, and preached at Bridgeport in the afternoon of that day. In the evening I went to Stukeville. During the night a hard snow storm came on and I was shut in with no entertainment for myself or horse. So in the morning I started for the house of J. F. Haskins, in Haney valley, but the storm increased and a crust an inch thick formed on the snow. My horse's legs were cut and bleeding and he refused to go further, so I left him and undertook to find a house on foot; but the intense cold and darkness confused me and I wandered about during five days and four nights, at the end of which time I was nearly exhausted. On the fifth day I found Eagle Points saw-mill, Mr. Ralph Smith, proprietor. There I was received and most kindly cared for. On the eighth day, mortification having begun, my left foot was amputated, and I was taken the same day to Prairie du Chien and kindly cared for by Mr. Alonzo Pelton, Drs. Benedict and Mason, and many others. Dr. Benedict afterward said that if my system had contained a particle of alcohol, I would not have survived the first night of my exposure. Many at that time lost their lives who were exposed but one night to the intense cold. This part of my experience I have ever cherished as a valuable temperance lesson."


The story was also covered in The Auburn Daily American, Saturday January 24th, 1857.
Suffering from the Cold at the West.
A letter from Rev. ALFRED BRUNSON, Superintendent of the Methodist Mission at Prairie du Chien, dated 31st December, relates the perils suffered by his assistant, Rev. JOHN KNIBBS, in attempting to go, on horse-back, from one settlement in that region to another. He had not proceeded far, before his horses legs were covered with blood, having been lacerated by the crust of the snow, and refused to proceed farther.- Mr. K. tied his horse to a tree, and set out to find a house. It was near night, and he failed to find the dwelling he was in search of. There were, in fact, not more than two miles distant several houses - but in his bewilderment he could not move in a direct
line. Bewildered he wandered about five nights and four days, without having anything to eat or drink. When he reached eagle Point on Saturday, (having started out on Tuesday,) he had barely life enough to be numbered with the living. His foot was so badly frozen, that he is likely to lose one or both, and his hands were frost-bitten and his sense of hearing was lost. Immense snow storms have fallen along the shores of Upper Mississippi, and the cold is the most severe experienced in that region for twenty years, since the missionary has resided there.


The following account of John's experiences are recorded in History of Methodism in Wisconsin, by P.S. Bennett:
The Conference of 1857 was held August 12th, at Mineral Point, Bishop Ames presiding. During the session the rain was incessant, and great difficulty was experienced by the preachers in getting to and from the Conference
sessions, there being but a very limited supply of sidewalks, and the clay of the region being most adhesive.
At this Conference an increase of 544 members was reported, and 10 preachers were admitted on trial. Among
these, several worthy names are found.
J. B. Bachman has given thirty-one years of the best of his days to the itinerancy, during four of which he was
presiding elder of the Kilbourn City District. At the present he sustains a supernumerary relation, and is editing a paper at Eau Claire, the name of which, The Progress, fully indicates its exalted motive and aim.
John Knibbs, who had been employed as a supply on the Eastman Mission during the previous year, in going to one of his appointments, lost himself in the Kickapoo woods. He wandered about from Tuesday morning to Friday afternoon - four days and three nights - in the coldest part of winter, without food or drink, save the snow which he melted in his mouth. When found, his hearing and his speech were nearly gone, and his hands and feet and face frozen ! His hearing was never restored; one foot was lost. After much suffering, and faithful preaching for twenty-seven years in the Conference, he died in Prairie du Chien, February 1, 1884, universally beloved and respected by all who knew him. His devoted companion, Amelia Knibbs, was a Christian lady of rather retired habits, yet useful and esteemed by all. She survived him only about three years, spending the last of her days near her brother. Rev. C. W. Blodgett, presiding elder of Atlantic District, Des Moines Conference.

Note: C W Blodgett's full name was Charles Wesley Blodgett.

From the Indiana Americam, January 30th, 1857:
From tha North Western Christian Advocate.
A Preacher Suffering in the Woods.
Mr. Editor: I have just received the ollowing letter from Bro. Knibbe, a young preacher whom I employed on Eastman, Miss. His sufferings exceed anything that have come under my observation in 44 years on tht north western frontier. From what I hear he is much worse off than he writes; and some who have seen him fear that he will lose one or both of his feet I shall take measures immediate ly to get him to my house, where be can have medical aid.

Eagle Point, Dec 29.
Rev. Sir: I am sorry to have to inform you of a misfortune I have met with viz.: getting lost in the trackless snow of Crawford county woods. I started on Tuesday morning, Dec. 23, from the Lathrop settlement for Honey Valley, to attend service there on Wednesday. But I had not proceeded far be fore my horse's legs were covered with blood from going through the crust on the snow. I tried every possible means to
induce him to keep on, both by walking before him and breaking the crust, by driving, without avail; so I had to tie him to a tree and go in search of a house Mr. Brown's; but it was near night and I could not find it, though I knew it was not far off. In this lost and bewildered state I wandered about for five nights and four days without seeing or hearing a living being or a habitation, and with nothing to eat or drink, until I got here on Saturday night with just enough of life left to be numbered with the living. I don't know how to speak of the kindness of Mr. and Mrs. Smith: it is bevond expression. If
you, reverend sir, would be good enough to write and thank them I should feel somewhat relieved, because thev think so highly of you.
I am now, by good nursing and unwearied attention, doing well. My feet are dreadfully frozen, my hands a little, and I am very deaf; but I hope to be able to attend to mv duties again before Iong. I want to go Lynxville to-morrow, if I can
I remain, reverend and dear sir,
Your humble servant,

From what I can learn, Bro. Knibbs was within two miles of several houses, but in his bewildered state did not move straight in any direction, but in a kind of circle. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are not members of our church, but they are among the kindest and best people in the world; and, not only myself, but the whole church and the world will certainly thank them most fervently for their kind attentions to a suffering minister of Christ.
The last clause of Bro. Knibb's letter shows his zeal and anxiety to be "at his post;" but I have but little hopes of his recovering so as to be able to do much this winter. We have the moat snow, rain and changes that I havo known in this country for 21 years, and withal, so far, the hardest winter. I have been twice turned back from my quarterly meetings by the snow, after going as far as possible Will not the church pray for the missionary on the snowy frontiers?
Prairie du Chiem, Dec 31, 1856


The bureau of Land Management shows that John purchased 80 acres of land at Mineral Point, Crawford County, Wisconsin on 7th December 1859. It is described as "the west half of the South East quarter of Section 23 in Township nine North of Range five, West, in the District of Lands formerly subject to sale, at Mineral Point, now La Crosse, Wisconsin, containing eighty acres."

See John's Land Registration Certificate

He went on to have three daughters, one of whom lived in North Dakota, USA.

There is certainly reference to a burial of John Knibbs, at Woodland Cemetery, Polk County, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa, USA. No date of burial is given with the record.
Information re the burials of John, his wife Amelia and daughter Hattie were found at

The Charter-Pierce Memorial Internet Genealogical Society

Click on the link to go there and then, use the search facility for


1860 Census information confirms that John and Amelia were in Dodgeville, Iowa in 1860 with one child Mary Catherine age 1 yr.
John Knibbs 34 Minister Methodist Church England
Amelia Knibbs 23 Illinois
Mary Cath Knibbs 1 Wisconsin

There's reference in Amelia's obituary in the Broadhead Independent newspaper, that John and Amelia also lived at Platteville, Wisconsin in 1869, where John was in charge of the M.E. Church. If I understand correctly, he moved in 1879 and became pastor of the M.E. Chruch at Broadhead, Wisconsin.

They also appear in Platteville in 1870 with three children, Katie (Mary Catherine?) age11, Nettie, Age 7, and Hattie, age 1 yr. John was a Methodist Minister and Amelia was a homemaker.

1870 census shows:
Locality: PLATTEVILLE M593-Roll: 1717 Page: 381 State: WI
John KNIBBS 42 M E Minister England
Amelia KNIBBS 32 Keeping House Illinois
Katie KNIBBS 11 Wisconsin
Nellie KNIBBS 7 Wisconsin
Hattie KNIBBS 1 Wisconsin

Value of Personal Estate $800

In the 1875 State census for Wisconsin we can see who I believe is John, but recorded as James Knibbs, living in the town of Dodgeville, Iowa County, Wisconsin. The State census simply shows the name of the head of the family and a head count of the family. It shows one Male and four Females..

John is listed in the 1880 census living at Brodhead, Green, Wisconsin, USA.
John KNIBBS Self M Male W 54 ENG Preacher ENG ENG
Amelia KNIBBS Wife M Female W 41 IL Keeping House NY NY
Katy M. KNIBBS Dau S Female W 21 WI Teaching School ENG IL
Helen B. KNIBBS Dau S Female W 17 WI Painting E
Hattie E. KNIBBS Dau S Female W 11 WI At Home ENG IL

From the Wisconsin State register, (Portage WI) February 09, 1884:

Rev. J. Knibbs, a former pastor of the M.E. church of this city, who made his whole congregation his friends, died at his home in Prairie du Chien, Feb. 1st, of blood poisoning, caused by an amputation made years ago, his case being similar to that of the late Dr. Waterhouse.

From the Mineral Point Tribune., February 07, 1884:
Many of our older citizens will be pained to learn of the death of Rev. John Knibbs at his home in Prairie du Chien, last Friday, Feb. Ist.
In 1861 Mr. Knibbs was appointed pastor of Mineral Point M. E. church, remaining here two years and doing very effective work. In Mineral Point he married Miss Blodgett who with three children survive him.
Some years ago while pastor at Mt. Stirling he was lost and in his wanderings froze his feet, one of which has been several times amputated and was really the cause of hi death.
Mr Knibbs was a good preacher, and an excellent pastor—and a grand
man has gone to his rest.
Wounded in the service of truth he has held fast in the even tenor of a sweet and useful life.
Something will be said concerning him at the M. E. church next Sabbath.


Historic Note:
Rev. A. Brunson of Prairie Du Chien, writing in The Brookville Indiana American, Friday, March 13, 1857 gives a good account of the svere weather conditions during the time that John became starnded:
"Winter in Wisconsin. Rev. A. Brunson, writing from Prairie Du Chien, Wis., to the N. W. Christian Advocate, this alludes to the last winter. Guess we'll not move there: This winter, so far, has been the hard- est and we have had the most snow, of any that I have witnessed in twenty-one that I have been in this country, or that I have seen in over fifty years in any country. We have had at least six feet of snow on the level, though not all at once; say two and a half feet on the ground at one tune, which was settled by rains at different times, the only rains I have ever known in this country in the winter, with one or two exceptions. As a consequence, it has been very difficult to travel, so that I have been prevented from attending four quarterly-meetings, for which I started, and from the want of roads in a direct course, I have been compelled to travel, in some instances, scores of miles round, so as to reach the main thoroughfares...—. I have never, until this winter, known the thermometer to sink lower than thirty-six degrees below zero, but on the 18th of January, it was down to forty-four degrees. The ice of the Mississippi, which is now being removed to the ice-houses in blocks, shows a depth of two and a half feet.
Bro. Knibbs, the young preacher who was lost and frozen badly, has lost one foot at the instep, but is doing very well for one in his situation; the wound healing as fast as could be expected, but he cannot yet leave his bed."


From The History of Methodism in Wisconsin, 1842-1889:
REV. JOHN KNIBBS was born in Woodstock, England, March 2, 1829, and died at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, February 1,1884. He was educated at Oxford University, where he remained for twelve years as student or teacher, and was there prepared for the Episcopal ministry. He came to the United States in 1856, and immediately united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. On his uniting with the Church in Prairie du Chien, he was given license to preach, and employed, by the presiding elder, on the Eastman Mission. His experience during this year has already been detailed, in which he was crippled for life. For twenty-seven years he was engaged without any interruption in the ministry, serving on several of the most important stations in the Conference. When conscious of his nearness to death, he talked with his family and made all arrangements for his funeral, and said " that were it not for their sorrow, he would gladly go home and be at rest." He was a very able preacher, a ripe scholar, and an exemplary Christian. He was kind and congenial to all. He lived to bless the world, and did all his work well.

Our gratitude goes to the members and volunteers at Find A Grave web site for recording the details, in memory of John.

Sources for Rev. John KNIBBS:

  1. Oxfordshire Parish Register - Woodstock,
  2. 1880 US Federal Census,
  3. Personal Contact with Cathy Cliff,
  4. WIGenWeb Newspaper Obituary Index 1850-1907, gave his date of death 
  5. Broadhead Independent Newspaper (Wisconsin),
  6. 1870 US Federal Census,
  7. 1851 British Census,

Notes for Amelia Ann BLODGETT:

The LDS tell us that Amelia's parents were Tyler Kidder Blodgett b.1811 New York, d. Dec 1867, and Mary Ann Vaughn b.Jun 1815 in Scotland, UK, d.Jan 1890. Tyler was living in Portage, Illinois in 1860.
I think Amelia's paternal grandparents were Caleb Blodgett, Chloe Phoebe Kidder.
We see them in 1860, after Amelia had married, living at City Of Stevens Point, Portage, Wisconsin
Tyler K Blodgett 50 New York
Mary A Blodgett 45 Canada
Delia Blodgett 22Wisconsin
Helen Blodgett 20 Wisconsin
Etta Blodgett 18 Wisconsin
Andrew Blodgett 17 Wisconsin
Wesley Blodgett 15 Wisconsin
Hattie Blodgett 10 Wisconsin

I read that Amelia's parents had six children: Delia, Helen, Etta, Andrew, Wesley, Hattie. I suspect that Delia should really be Amelia, and Wesley was perhaps Charles Wesley.

One of Amelia's brothers was the Rev. Charles Wesley Blodgett, born about 1846, and died on 1 Jan 1931 at Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio. His wife was Lou Rector Blodgett.

Another of her brothers was Andrew T Bloggett who was a Captain, Company B, 39th Iowa Infantry. He was mustered into service on November 24, 1862, promoted to Captian on August 7, 1864 and shorly thereafter was killed in action at the battle of Allatoona Pass, Georgia, October 5, 1864. It's written that Blodgett was one of the best line officers which the State of Iowa sent into the field. His untimely death caused a profound sensantion at Des Moines where his remains were taken and buried in Woodlawn Cemtery more than a year after his heroic death.

From the Iowa County Veterans Newsletter, Winter 2011.
Civil War Trivia: In December, 1861, the Miners Guard (2nd WI Infantry) received 102 pairs of mittens from the Mineral Point Soldiers Relief Circle, whose president was Amelia Knibbs. Most of these soldieres were from Iowa County.

Obituary from Prairie Du Chien Union 20 Jan 1887 reads:
Mrs. Amelia Knibbs, d. Jan 10 1887 @@ DesMoines, IA, b. Chicago 26 Apr 1829, Widow of Rev Jno Knibbs who died at Praire du Chien in 1884. Married at Mineral Point in 1858.

(Note: the above obituary is as it appeared and I believe the year when Amelia was born was 1839, not 1829.)

There is a record of Amelia A Knibbs being buried at Woodland Cemetery, Polke County, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa, USA on Dec 10 1886. her husband John and daughter Hattie are buried at the same cemetery. An Obituary in a Prairie Du Chien newspaper gave her date of death as Jan 10 1887, one month later.

Amelia's father Tyler Kidder Blodgett and mother Mary Ann Vaughn Blodgett are also buried at the same cemetery.

From the Iowa County democrat., February 04, 1887:
Mrs. Amelia Knibbs. widow of the late John Knibbs, died at her home in
Des Moines, lowa. Jan. 10. 1887. Deceased resided in Dodgeville during a three year’s pastorate of her husband, Rev. John Knibbs. in the M. K. Church, and was esteemed as a highly refined and Christian lady. She united with the M. E. church, in Mineral Point, at thy age of sixteen, and was married in that city in 1858. Her husband died in Prairie du Chien in 1884. after which she removed to Des Moines. lowa, where she resided until called “to meet them on the other shore ” —The Dodgeville Chronicle.


The Broadhead Independent Newspaper (Wisconsin) contained the following obituary for Amelia. It was also shown in the Aberdeen Weekly News newspaper (South Dakota), which was where her daughter Mrs Ira Barnes (Katie) lived:

The tidings of the death on Monday, Jan. 10, 1887, of Mrs. Amelia KNIBBS, will bring sorrow to many hearts in our village where she was widely known and much beloved. Gentle and winning in her ways, yet firm for right and principle, unselfish in thought and deed, she endeared herself to all who came in contact with her, while her thorough consecration of heart and life, combined with the charm of her outward manner, fitted her especially for the difficult role of a Methodist minister's wife. How well she filled this position every heart in the various churches where he husband, Rev. John KNIBBS, so acceptably officiated will testify.

We first made the acquaintance of Rev. and Mrs. KNIBBS in Platteville, in 1869, where Mr. KNIBBS was then in charge of the M. E. Church, and the acquaintance ripened into a friendship which we were only too glad to renew when in the fall of 1879 he assumed the pastorate of the M. E. church in this place. Longer acquaintance and closer knowledge only attached us more and more to them and their lovely daughters, and in this experience we did not differ from all who came within their circle of acquaintance.

During their residence here the eldest daughter, Katie, was united in marriage with Mr. Ira BARNES, of this village, a gentleman highly esteemed. They will have the sympathy of all in this their double affliction, for it was the absence of his wife from home at the death bed of her mother, which prevented Mr. BARNES from being present here with the other sons and daughters at the burial of his mother, Jan. 5.

From this place Mr. and Mrs. KNIBBS removed to Prairie du Chien, and the editor of the Union in that city, to whom we are indebted for an early copy of a well written obituary notice, pays high tribute to her worth. We clip the following paragraph:

Mrs. KNIBBS was a model Christian woman devoted to her home, the church and God, and the influence spread abroad by the useful life she lived on earth will never be forgotten by those whom it reached.

Mrs. KNIBBS was born in Chicago, April 27, 1839, and united with the M. E. church at the age of 16, at Mineral Point, Wis. She was married there in June 1858, to Rev. John KNIBBS, of the West Wisconsin Conference. After his death, which occurred at Prairie du Chien, Feb. 1, 1884, she went to Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa, to reside, and there the rest of her life was spent. Faithful to her duties to the end, "she rests from her labors and her works do follow her."


From the Galena Gazette, 5 February 1887:
Mrs. Amelia Knibbs, widow of the late Rev. John Knibbs, who was for many years connected with the West Wisconsin Conference of the M. E. Church, died at her home in Des Moines, Iowa, Jan. 10,1887. The deceased was married to Mr. Knibbs in Mineral Point, in 1858. Her husband died in Prairie du Chien, in 1884, after which she removed to Des Moines.


Our gratitude goes to the members and volunteers at Find A Grave web site for recording the details, in memory of Amelia.

Our gratitude also goes to the members and volunteers at Find A Grave web site for recording the details, in memory of Amelia father Tyler, with links to her mother's memorial..

Sources for Amelia Ann BLODGETT:

  1. 1860 US Federal Census, gave us her middle name of Ann 
  2. 1880 US Federal Census,
  3. Broadhead Independent Newspaper (Wisconsin),
  4. Cemetery Records on the Internet,

Notes for Harriet E KNIBBS:

Also known as: Hattie

Hattie is buried at Woodland Cemetery, Polk County, Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa.

From Aberdeen Daily News (Aberdeen, South Dakota, February 14, 1890:
A telegram was received from Des Moines, Iowa, last night that Miss Harriet Knibbs died in her home in that city yesterday afternoon. Consumption was the cause of her death. Miss Knibbs was bookkeeper on the Daily News for some months and became well acquainted in Aberdeen social circles. She was a sister of Mrs. Ira Barnes of this city. The many friends of the deceased will express their heartfelt sympathy for the bereaved relatives.


Our gratitude goes to the members and volunteers at Find A Grave web site for recording the details, in memory of Hattie.

Sources for Harriet E KNIBBS:

  1. 1880 US Federal Census,
  2. Obituary,